Sunday, November 11, 2012

Breaking up the Routine

As a mother of two little girls that spends almost all of their waking hours with them, I find that I can easily get stuck in a rut.  Do you know what I mean?  Get up, stagger to the coffee pot, change diapers, nurse the baby, make and eat breakfast, etc.  That has been bothering me a lot lately and I've been trying to come up with some fun things to break up our "routine" days.  I have a good friend that is wonderful about getting home from work and taking her son to the park and she has inspired me to really try to relish these days while my girls are still little!

Here is where I really am kicking myself for not taking more pictures, but we have had some fun things going on around here.  It all started with Grace, 3, asking if we could eat dinner at a restaurant.  It is something we rarely do but she really seems to enjoy it.  I decided, in the spur of the moment, that we could have a restaurant at home!  Why not, right?  We got home and I set the table with place mats and all of the "little extras" I could think of.  I invited the family in and helped them get seated.  I brought Grace a glass of ice water with a straw and her little face was so excited!  Precious!  It really was just a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup dinner but I think we all had fun.

From there, I've started trying to grasp any opportunity that presents itself for me to mix it up.  The other night Bob and Grace were reading "Green Eggs and Ham", before bed and I asked Grace if she'd like to try it sometime. She got  all excited and said, "Yes, please, Mommy!"  That was our breakfast the next morning.  I must say, it was really tasty!  I diced up some leftover ham and sauteed it with some garlic, added scrambled eggs and a few drops of green food coloring.  Delicious!

On a recent rainy day, we had a lunch of popcorn, raisins and turkey on the living room floor while we watched a movie!  It was so fun and Sophia, 19 months, even sat still for quite awhile!

As these fun ideas have started to accumulate, I am really committed to trying to get some pictures of our fun.  I'll post some more soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment